Apple has always offered two clear variations for the MacBook Pro. A model with a 15″ screen and a model with a 13″ screen, but is that the only difference? Far from it. From the early generations of the MacBook Pro we can see a pattern start to define itself. The 15″ MacBook Pro is larger, more powerful, and more focused on processor-intensive tasks. While it’s slightly smaller sibling is more about portability, and providing great value within its small form factor.
- Both MacBook Pro’s are available in Space Gray and Silver finish.
- Force Touch trackpad is available on both models.
- The latest generation of butterfly keyboard and touch bar is available for each model.
- Both screens offer the same brightness and True Tone technology.
- USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 are available for both models.
- The 15″ MacBook Pro has more options for faster processing (4-Core, 6-Core, and 8-Core)
- The 15″ MacBook models have dedicated graphics cards, while all the 13″ models have integrated graphics. This means they are much more suited to graphic intensive applications.
- The 15″ MacBook Pro has faster RAM and higher configurations than the smaller 13″ MacBook Pro (2400MHz DDR4 compared to 2133MHz LPDDR3)
- The 15″ MacBook Pro can host a 4TB SSD, while the 13″ can have a 2TB SSD max.
Apple MacBook Pro 15″ Touch Bar
The Apple MacBook Pro 15″ Touch Bar is considered Apple’s fastest laptop on the market. Generally speaking, the 15″ model comes with a dedicated graphics processor, which means things like high resolution video editing, photoshop, or graphic design will all be within the wheelhouse of what this computer is capable of. The newer models are able to accept ultra high end graphics card to ensure the fastest possible speeds. Coupled with the fact that in the current generation, all 15″ MacBook Pro models come with a quad-core processor (upgradeable to 8-cores) instead of the dual-core processor found in most 13″ MacBook Pro models, it becomes quite the machine.
Apple MacBook Pro 13″ Touch Bar
Don’t need the extra power? The 13″ MacBook Pro has all the bells and whistles that the larger model has, while maintaining a healthy diet that keeps it a full pound lighter than it’s heftier sibling. A high resolution display, full backlit keyboard (including the innovative Touch Bar), and a wide range of available processors make the 13″ MacBook Pro a sleek and quick computer that works for students, executives, or anyone who wants to keep on the move. The new models are now available to be configured with a quad-core processor. This means faster computing, while still maintaining portability.
Having a good understanding of what you will be using your computer for and knowing the differences will be beneficial for you in the long term. This way you won’t be stuck having to upgrade shortly after you purchase your Mac computer.